Wednesday, March 04, 2009

the power of suggestion

Eric and I have a little debate going about whether our Brita filter changes the taste of our water. Eric insists that when the faucet water is filtered, it tastes better. I'm pretty sure it tastes the same either way, but like the idea of filtering the gunk out of our water because it tastes pretty bad regardless.
Two days ago I tried to give him a pop quiz to guess which glass was filtered and which wasn't, but I wasn't careful and the faucet water was cooler and had water dripping down the side of the cup and it wasn't a true test.
Last night, after dinner, as Eric finished the remaining water in his glass I asked him how it tasted.
He said it tasted great.
I told him it wasn't filtered, that I had put water in the pitcher without filtering it.
He didn't believe me.
I laughed at his uncertainty.
He became less certain due to my laughing.
I laughed harder.
He went to the sink to rinse his dishes.
I laughed harder, wishing I had actually thought ahead enough to put water in the pitcher without filtering it.
He shook his head and said, "I knew that water tasted kind of funny!"
FACT: The water in the pitcher was filtered as usual.

3 comments:

chelle said...

TOO FUNNY! I love it lol.
Remind me to never drink your water :P

Minnette said...

You are a hoot! I'm glad that you got a good laugh and shared it so I could laugh too, hehe! Poor Eric, I bet you keeps him on his toes. I miss you Jet!

Susan said...

that is good! Our water here is interesting too! LOL!